Reshaping stomach into a tube or “sleeve”, the laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy is a bariatric surgery or weight loss surgery in which a trained bariatric surgeon removes approximately 85% of the stomach. In this procedure, the function of stomach is preserved by not altering the nerves of the stomach and the outlet valve.
Dr Randeep Wadhawan has performed hundreds of successful laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, wherein the stomach is divided along its vertical length in order to create a slender space for food to pass & removing the excess stomach. With an aim to restrictive the amount of food ingested at any given time, without altering the normal absorption of the vitamins and minerals. It also minimizes the chance of developing ulcer.
- Restrictive process.
- Popular alternative to LAGB& Gastric bypass
- 25% stomach left.
- Less invasive than bypass
- Ghrelin hormone (apetite hormone) removed.
- Improves co-morbidities
- Mean excess weight loss at one year is 70%
- Minimal complications.
- Less follow-up
- Hospital stay is 2-3 days.
- Return to normal physical activity is 4 days.